Please contribute to various recycling collections found in the church near both the south and east entrances:
- Aluminum cans
Recycling collection for the following items is available in the white Donations Cabinet in the east end of the Commons:
- All types of clothing and household items are taken to Center of Grace, which distributes them free of charge
- Calendars can be used in prison ministries
- Box tops for Education benefit Westview Elementary School
- Bingo prizes, art supplies, small stuffed toys and jewelry go to nursing homes
- Cell phones are recycled through T-Mobile
- Hearing aids
- Sewing supplies
- Used athletic shoes tied into pairs are used to create new gym floors
- Yarn is used to make prayer shawls
Here are some other ways you can recycle:
- Aldersgate UMC is part of the Olathe Curbside Recycling. The big blue recycling bin is found in the kitchen. When it is full, please park the full cart to the right of the trash dumpster and bring the empty cart into the kitchen. The City of Olathe now accepts aluminum foil, aluminum foil pans and empty aerosol cans as part of its recycling program.
- Newspaper recycling dumpsters are found at the south end of Aldersgate’s parking lot. Recycled paper benefits the church.
- Bring your own coffee mug each Sunday.
Aldersgate Off-Campus Recycling
Please donate and shop at local thrift stores. The following non-profit thrift store is free for shoppers and is tax deductible for those who make donations:
- Clothing Closet at Center of Grace (an outreach of Grace UMC)
The following are thrift stores whose profits support charities and are tax deductible for those who make donations:
The following are thrift stores that will do truck pick-ups of items:
- Cross-Lines, (913) 281-2274–household items and clothing
- Oxford Addiction Recovery Houses, (913) 780-4028–household items
- ReStart, (816) 842-1199 (works to help homeless families)
- Restore, (913) 596-6597–sales of household and construction items help Habitat for Humanity
Items Challenging to Recycle
Olathe residents can schedule appointments to recycle electronic items and dispose of paints, cleaners, fluorescent light bulbs, automotive supplies and chemicals at Household Hazardous Waste. Call (913) 971-9311 to make an appoint or click here.
For more recycling questions, please contact Kathy Riggs at (913) 782-4435.